1) A typed, formal written response to the assigned readings, with a body which is no shorter than 1 page and no longer than 2 pages – 12-point font, double-spaced, and stapled. Nothing past the second page will be marked—part of the assignment is to understand the material well enough, and to have spent enough time on the writing, to be able to answer the assigned questions within 2 pages.
2) It should be crystal clear that you are answering these questions on the basis of the assigned readings from the course text (use page references and short, integrated quotations to indicate the source of your answers). When citing or quoting the readings from the course text, page numbers are sufficient – e.g., “ …. ” (p. 10). If any outside sources are used, you must give full bibliographical citations on the reference page.
3) Provide a 1) title page with all relevant information (your name, student number, the name of the course, and my name) and 2) a properly formatted reference page for each of the readings and sources used.
Read: [Course Text: Thinking about Feeling: Contemporary Philosophers of Emotion (edited by Robert C. Solomon)]
• Read “Primitive Emotions,” John Deigh (course text: pp. 9-27) [see attached files]
• Read “Emotion: Biological Fact or Social Construction?” Jenefer Robinson (pp. 28-43) [see attached files]
Answer all of the following questions:
1) According to Deigh, what are the two facts about emotion that any theory must accommodate and which approach to emotion does a better job accommodating which fact?
2) According to Robinson, what are some of the problems with the two main approaches and what is her solution for accommodating the two facts?
3) What do you think of Robinson’s solution? Does she successfully accommodate the two central facts about emotion with which any theory must deal? Give reasons for your conclusion.
Rosenthal, D. M. (2002). “Explaining Consciousness,” in D.J. Chalmers (ed.) Philosophy of Mind: Classical and Contemporary Readings, third edition (NY: Oxford University Press, 2012), 406-421.
*Please write it with simple sentence structure! (should be fairly easy to read)