Police Work with Juveniles
Answer these questions, then submit them to the Dropbox. Be sure to number your questions. Look as how the questions are asked and numbered and be sure to do your like this!
1. What is the primary responsibility of the police in a society?
2. Compare and contrast community policing and problem oriented policing. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?
3. What is the role dilemma for police in working with juvenile offenders?
4. What is meant by police discretion?
a. What are the benefits of police discretion and what are some ways that police officers may abuse their discretionary powers particularly in relation with juveniles?
5. Some people argue that police discretion is a threat to the right of each individual to fair and equal treatment by the justice system, and, accordingly, favor marked statutory restrictions on that discretion.
. From the perspective of interactions between the police and youths, would you be in favor of restrictions of that sort?
a. Why or why not?
6. What is the current position on the use of Miranda warnings for juveniles?
a. What are the problems with using it?
b. What Supreme Court cases have dealt with this?
7. There is widespread feeling that the United States Supreme Court will over the next few years eliminate, or at least further restrict, the use of Miranda warnings prior to police interrogation. In light of the traditional and protective roles assumed by law enforcement in juvenile justice, is there any reason to require a Miranda warning for youths taken into custody?
. A. Do you think that they should be eliminated, or restricted, in the case of youths taken into custody? Does this interfere with the concept of parens patriae?
B. Or do you think there should be limitations beyond Miranda in the police interrogation of youths–as is the case in some states? Support your position.
8. What kind of experiences did you or your friends have with police?
. 9. In your experience how do most kids feel about police officers?
a. What do studies say to support or refute your personal observations?
10. What would you suggest would be the most effective way to police with juveniles?
11. What qualities should a police juvenile officer have?
. 12. Should a college education be a requirement?
13. How could police departments be better organized to provide for the control of juvenile delinquency?